Started Mar 28, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jackhorner
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S620 review
Mar 28, 2009

I wanted a compact digital as I found I wasn't using my Olympus 7070 as much as I should. So much easier to have a little P&S in your pocket than have a larger camera slung around your neck.
Secondly, I plan on taking the camera on an extended vacation, so it had to be small.

A Wide-Angle was a must, as was some degree of control over the camera, specifically ISO, White Balance & Exposure Compensation.

Chose the S620 as it has the features I wanted at a good price point. Checked out the Fuji F200EXR, but I wasn't that impressed with the build quality - it seemed to clunky to my hands. The Panasonic's were pretty good, but the stories of excessive noise put me off somewhat.

PROS:
- Good build quality
- Very compact
- Nice 2.7" LCD Screen
- ISO, Shutter & Aperture displayed when focusing
- Four AF Area modes including Manual & Face Priority
- Options for Metering, Continuous Shooting & Colors
- Sensible zoom lens (28-112mm), reasonably fast f2.7
- Well laid out intuitive controls
- Shutter lag not a problem
- Good image quality. Photos are sharp, acceptable noise
- "D-Lighting" edit works quite well in playback mode
- Considering file size of 12M photos camera records files quickly enough. Note: I bought a Patriot 8GB Class 6 SDHC card.
- Ability to record images at 12, 8, 5, 3MP resolutions

CONS:
- Annoyingly limited to 4:3 Aspect Ratio at all image resolutions except one
- No HD Movie capability
- No Full PASM control

Problems:

None to speak of yet!

Cons are really just a wish list of features that I knew the camera didn't have when I bought it.
These features are available on larger and/or more expensive cameras like the Panasonic LX3 or Ricohs. I wasn't prepared to sacrifice on size or spend more cash so the Nikon was a good fit for me.

jackhorner's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow