Started Apr 25, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MatthewJP
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S630 review
Apr 25, 2009

I first tested my new Coolpix S630 indoors. The results were impressive.
Today I took the Coolpix S630 to Jones Beach to continue testing. I am no longer favorably impressed.

Problems:

After about 10 minutes I put the S630 back in my pocket and gave up trying to compose photographs on the monitor screen. I swore never to part with my six year old Canon S400.
The monitor screen is close to 100% invisible in bright daylight. If you wear sunglasses, the monitor screen IS 100% invisible.
I am curious to know why optical viewfinders are eliminated today in most digital cameras? The Coolpix S630 is an excellent camera, but you cannot use it in bright daylight. What's the point of that?
Does the monitor screen have to take up most of the space on the back of the camera? Is it worth the extra profit margin to eliminate the optical viewfinder, thereby rendering the camera practically useless in bright daylight?
I am thinking about taking advantage of the 90 day return policy offered by Costco on digital cameras.
Postscript: I returned the Coolpix S360 to Costco.

MatthewJP's gear list:MatthewJP's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
MatthewJP's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow