Started Apr 30, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
Samsung L74 Wide review
Apr 30, 2009

fast enough. Touch-screen interface works well.
The auto white balance is good even indoors. I think that the cardwriting is fast.

B&W is nice, but In general, I'm not very impressed as the noise it produces simply looks too blotchy at higher sensitives as iso 800 and 1600.
And I've run through a major test with identical Iso 200, 400, 800, and 1600 shots through the range of selectable mp-modes. 7, 6, 5, 3 and 1mp is available.
I may have missed it but i don't think so, NR seems not to be as an option.
It is a well-built metal-body.

I find the zoom-range 28-102mm to be very useful. The cam is also not too loud except for the zoom-mechanism which I believe could be more silent.

Problems:

Is400 = much noise. Aperture can only be set if you use night scene-mode. Purple fringing. No optical viewfinder.
Limited dynamic range, may need to underexpose slightly to save highlights sometimes, not a big problem though.
Blotchy noise at iso 800 and 1600 which is no good for B&W. But if you set resolution to 1 or 3mp, then Iso 800 will work for B&W and also iso 1600 if one is careful.

In fact I would have given it 5.0 for construction, hadn't it been for that flimsy switch on the battery-door which is easy to touch and let the door flip up (While pulling the camera out of my pocket mostly) accidently.

An other model worth to look up is the Coolpix P50. Same sensor size but 8mp, Almost identical zoomrange 28-102mm and same apertures at the wide and tele end of the zoom f2.8-5.6.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
schaki's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow