Started May 16, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sunskisurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?
Ricoh Caplio R5 review
May 16, 2009

Had two R3s, both of which had blurry lower left corners.
After reading lots of negative as well as some very positive reviews about the R5 (and after getting a good deal) I decided to go for it and give it a try myself.

I lucked out as my copy has very good edge to edge sharpness, so far no AF problems and a smoothly functioning zoom lever.

Picture quality is very good. In fact i like it better than the IQ from the R3s (blurry corners aside). To me there is more clarity in the R5 pictures and after comparing them, I have to say that they do remind me alot of the pictures I am getting from my GRD. Probablty a similar amount of Noise Reduction in the GRD and the R5.

Pictures are very sharp and colorful. Like with the GRD, the pictures have a certain "feel". My Panasonic TZ5 may (at times) produce better pictures, but this little camera can create the trademark Rioch "larger than life" feel.

Problems:

Video quality is so so and can't touch the videos from my Panasonic TZ5. Videos are good enough and of high enough resolution to capture the feel of a moment but of course without coming in any way close to the quality of a dedicated video camera.

Big problem: Image stabilization is coming on and off whenever it feels like it. I am still keeping the camera since all other functions seem to work flawlessly and AF and lens are as good as they can get. Will be sending it in to Ricoh for warranty repair.

sunskisurf's gear list:sunskisurf's gear list
Ricoh Caplio 500SE Ricoh Caplio R3 Ricoh Caplio R4 Ricoh Caplio R5 Ricoh Caplio R6 +13 more
sunskisurf's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow