Started May 22, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
techcafe
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S630 review
May 22, 2009

small & black, sleek & stylish, lovely curves, easy to use... very sexy camera baby, yeah!

HOWEVER, it shoots rather mediocre pictures. my webcam has taken better shots than this S630. i was quite let down actually, especially considering it's a Nikon.

btw, all pics were taken on a bright sunny day, but they still look like crap.

Problems:

a significant number of shots are out-of-focus, even though the AF-assist locked-on to the subject, and despite the fact that vibration reduction and motion detection are both enabled.

also, what you SEE is NOT always what you GET. that is, frame composition does not match-up precisely with what is shown on the LCD preview screen; the resultant image (file) is often askew - from what was originally displayed on the preview screen. so framing a 'perfect' shot is hit'n miss with this camera. more like, point 'n shoot... and hope for the best, i guess.

white balance is not always correct, especially when the flash is activated; there is often a slight greenish hue to flash pictures, looks kinda like the shot was taken under fluorescent lighting, without WB correction.

image quality (resolution) of the LCD preview screen is nothing to rave about either... but hey, i'm picky about those kinda things. since there's no viewfinder, a hi-res screen becomes important. besides, a nice looking camera like this deserves a much higher quality lcd panel/preview screen.

BUT most important though - picture quality is not exactly stunning or anything, definitely doesn't live up to Nikon's otherwise high standard for great looking pics. the S630 is absolutely not what i was expecting from a Nikon camera... this Coolpix S630 is pretty, but its beauty is only skin-deep. i find it hard to believe that it's got all those megapixels and a Nikkor lens... yet, it takes merely 'OK' pictures - they certainly do not look great, i can tell you that... even when the camera is at its best image quality setting.

i give this camera an overall rating of 2, maybe 3... and i'm being generous, really. Nikon shouldn't be putting their name on junk like this. hey, i'm just sayin...

btw, i recently bought this camera from Newegg.ca (not for myself, but as a gift for my mom)... but guess what? i now notice that the S630 has just been 'deactivated' from Newegg's product lineup. oh ghee, i wonder why, hmmm?? probably because the darn thing takes crappy pictures, that's WHY!

OH, and did i mention... i'm disappointed.

techcafe's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow