Started Jul 25, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wlachan
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,759
Like?
Pentax K2000 (K-m) review
Jul 25, 2009

It is a nice little camera that suits anyone who does not want the bulk and cost of some higher end models. Against my old *istDS, AF is generally faster, AF better in lowlight, AWB much better for tungsten, exposure is more accurate and much less likely to underexpose. It is also much more power efficient against the DS.

Being w/o the top LCD, all settings are being displayed on the 2.7" LCD which can be set to permanently on, or by pressing the info button. While the latter method conserves battery power, altering the shutter speed or aperture will not turn on the LCD automatically. That means you must either press the info button, or peeping through the viewfinder. It would be so much nicer of the LCD would turn on automatically whenever the settings are being changed.

The ? button can be customized for different features, but none that I found useful. Perhaps future firmware might add AE-L, AE Metering and Select AF point to it too.

Image detail is a big jump from 6MP to 10MP in practice. but at the cost of inferior noise control at higher ISO. As a RAW shooter only, I feel ISO100-800 are good, but 1600 & 3200 are inferior to the 6MP model. However, SR compensates this shortcoming somewhat. SR is also the sole reason I am buying the K-m.

Problems:

The file number jumped from 2xx to 8xx for no apparent reason. I have yet to figure out why.

wlachan's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow