Started Sep 2, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Danl Johnson
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Canon PowerShot SD990 IS (Digital IXUS 980 IS) review
Sep 2, 2009

This camera replaced the 6MP IXUS P&S, with which we were quite satisfied, and is clearly a step up: the sensor has more pixels than necessary, but is apparently the same one as used in the G10, and the image-processing is a step up. Face detection is nice when the grandchild is not in the center of the frame. We like the instant post-exposure replay mode in which the focus point is shown in an inset at 1:1 so that focus accuracy can actually be assessed.
It's a lovely, pocketable, snapshot camera that provides excellent image quality without any fooling around when tweaking is impossible, such as flying my glider. I just works.
Battery life is very long (we don't use flash very much, and don't use the LCD much, either), and a 4MB SD card can be archived nicely on a DVD-R. Two SD cards, two batteries, and we're good for a couple of weeks.

Problems:

Well, it's not an SLR. If I want the highlights preserved, or if the grandkids are moving fast, I have to use my SLR (Sony A700) for its instant focus and instant shutter. Like all P&S cameras, it has to meditate, however briefly, before actually launching itself to grab in image. Some modes are slower, some faster.

Danl Johnson's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow