Started Nov 1, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MMehresUSA
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Canon PowerShot S90 review
Nov 1, 2009

I have used most of the high end compacts over the years (Fuji F31, Leica D-Lux 4, SD880, Sigma DP1) and use a Leica M8 for my high end work. The Canon S90 is a decent camera overall but I can't help but to feel let down somewhat. On the plus side, the menu system is well thought out and the LCD is excellent. The button controls are nicely implemented as well. Image quality is decent but not revolutionary as some Canon advocates seem to be believe. In good light, the image quality is on par with SD880 and the sensor offers about 1 stop better sensitivity than the SD880. Having an F2.0 lens is also an advantage.

Problems:

-The camera is not attractive. Its design is, to me, dull and lifeless.
-The lens is F2.0 only at 28mm. The maximum aperture rises rapidly, reaching only F3.2 at 50mm.
-The lens suffers from a stunning amount of barrel distortion. You can see this only on RAW images but it is by far the worst barrel distortion I have ever seen.
-The various control rings are gimmicky, especially the one around the lens. On a camera like this, there is really no need for aperture or ISO controls. In fact, I had a hard time finding anything to assign to the control rings.
-the pop up flash rises up automatically. This is a problem as I usually place my hand ring in that exact spot. Also an automatic mechanism is more prone to breakdowns. A manual activation system would be much better.
-The camera is way overpriced for what it is.

MMehresUSA's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow