Started Nov 21, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rpant
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?
Samsung HZ10W (WB500) review
Nov 21, 2009

This camera was disapointing due to the poor image quailty. It has a combination of excessive noise combined with excessive noise reduction, so you get the worst of both worlds, noisy images even at base iso, plus massive smearing from the noise redction.

The noise from this sensor must be extreme, that not even the overuse of noise reduction can reduce the noise to an acceptable level. I have an old Samsung L730 that produces vastly superior images to the WB500, even though the L730 results aren't top notch.

I can't overstress the poor results from this camera.
Noise in clear blue skies, extreme noise in shadow areas,
Smudging of detail so that peoples faces look clownish.

Also, the flash is in a bad position. If you grip the camera using the finger grip on the front, the flash will be partially blocked and you'll get a shadow on the right side of the picture. So you have to remember to hold the camera on top and bottom, while making sure none of your fingers get in the way. Not as easy as it sounds.

Video results are better, except for the poor quality sound. The microphones lack sensitivity, so replaying videos requires the volume be turned up very loud.
Also the zoom noise during video is recorded and quite obvious when the volume is turned up. I suspect Samsung tried to mask the zoom noise by reducing the sound sensitivity.

All in all, this is not a good camera if you value image quality. This is the first time I've felt the need to express how bad a camera is, and I've had a few bad ones before.

Problems:

See above.

rpant's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow