Started Jan 2, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pawel Mazur
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Pentax Optio W60 review
Jan 2, 2010

I bought this camera for AU$299. My impression is that if it wasn't waterproof it would sell for about $100, maybe $150. I played with it for few hours after the purchase and the next morning it went back to the store for a refund.

First impressions: slow and hard to operate. Buttons are small and not well placed, it is difficult to hold it with one hand only, so think about long time snorkeling in this context... And you get this feeling that there is always a little lag between what you do and the camera's reaction, noticed especially when browsing taken photos (this was really irritating).

But I could live with the above. What really made me to ask for refund was the image quality. Noise, noise, noise. Even when taking a photo in a light room the ISO setting jumped to 800 even at wide angle. I suspect this is because of the small lenses. When manually set to ISO 200, the image was way to dark. Flash does not help much as its very weak.

Image quality of movies is affected by high compression, I really like the small size of the files, but it does have an impact on the quality. So it would be better if a user could set his preference.

Also what surprised me was the motor noise made when zooming in and out. I have not heard anything like that in other cameras. There is also an unpleasant noise when using AF while taking movies.

So it seems the purpose of the camera is really to take photos in wet conditions on nice sunny days. For me this is not worth A$300. But then if its main purpose is to be used rough conditions, then it is a pity this camera is not shockproof.

Finally, I am surprised it scored so well in the DP group test of underwater cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup). This just makes me fear to even try to play with other cameras, given the good note for image quality Pentax W60 got in it.

Problems:

At least the following: slow operation, image noise, weak flash, motor noise when zooming, noise of AF in the movie mode, not the best ergonomics.

Pawel Mazur's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow