Started Jan 5, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KiwiGrower
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Ricoh CX1 review
Jan 5, 2010

I'm very happy with my CX1. The high quality of design and construction is obvious. Everything about it is fast and responsive. The LCD screen is super sharp and the control buttons are solid, easy to use and understand. The layout of advanced settings and menus and they way they are remembered or not remembered as appropriate is very natural. It is hard for me to use anyone else's small camera for anything other than "set to full auto, point, half-press and shoot" (then pray). With my big hands, I especially like the thumb-joystick rather than the 5 button mandala type on most small cameras. As far as image quality goes, the color accuracy and wide dynamic range are good and I don't have to think about if a picture will "work" or not as long as I think about lighting and shadows and background a little bit. The pictures get a bit noisy at high iso or full zoom, but that's to be expected. And I know I will never get a good hand held shot in low light with a moving subject. But I love the super easy and fast compensation of exposure and flash, as well as the snap and infinity focus and excellent macro ability. I must qualify my glowing review by saying than none of my photos will ever win a contest, but the ready availability of an easy to use and reliable pocket camera like this has enabled me to see and capture events and memories that I would miss otherwise. All of my pictures are for family albums (with a few portraits), landscapes and nature for web, email and small to medium size prints, so this is plenty of technology for that.

Problems:

The only "problem" was that the camera would turn off suddenly with the lens stuck out if the battery level was already very low and then you make demands for a burst of power. This was a very minor inconvenience until I decided to not push it that far. The easy, commonsense workaround is simply to swap in a charged backup battery when the indicator turns yellow.

KiwiGrower's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow