ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NJX
NJX
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 review
Mar 16, 2010

A definite two thumbs up. The TX7 specs along with positive reviews on the net, and Sony’s support of SD memory, put Sony in my crosshairs.

While the jury may be out regarding touch-screen (imode) operation, for me the TX7 seems to have the proper mix between imode and external controls. The Power, Zoom, Mode selection for Photo/Movie/Playback, and shutter, all use external buttons, while camera settings are relegated to imode control. The TX7 touch-screen doesn’t seem to be effected by erroneous finger placement either, triggering some unintended function.

The camera’s 10.2 megapixal resolution coupled with it’s revolutionary CCD, results in much better image quality then say a higher res CCD. While on resolution, the display screen’s res is 920k – very nice.

There are some interesting features available in the TX7 as well. Anti-Motion-Blur reduces the effects of camera shake during indoor low lighting, by combining a series of (internal) images into one composite image. iSweep-Panorama facilitates automatic in-camera stitching that produces one wide seamless image as you pan across a scene. Backlight-Correction processes two images at different exposures, combined them internally into one image providing shadow detail when shooting into the light. The camera’s continuous frame mode can shoot up to 10 images (at a user specified frame rate of up to 10 per second).

The TX7 allows zoom during video shooting -- great. Also, it can record HD video producing fairly sharp image quality at all resolutions.

My evaluation is based on a shooting style that goes back to my 35mm days. My preference is to use Program-mode, set ISO at 200, set EV at -0.3, and center weighted exposure and focus. I place the focus/exposure mark over the object of interest, half depress the shutter locking both, recompose the scene, then fully depress the shutter. At ISO 200 the tiny flash can cover out to 20 feet.

The supplied (PC) Software is good. Sony’s PMB (Photo Motion Browser) provides extensive viewing and reasonable touchup capability.

Having progressed through many P/S cameras in recent years, to me, the (very compact) TX7 represents a major step forward in the P/S category. The camera does come at a hefty price tag though.

NJX's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow