Started May 3, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
geesbert
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 review
May 3, 2010

I got that after I returned the Olympus 8010, which was a really horrible camera. I nearly gave up (again!) on small sensor cameras, but then I gave the tiny Sony a spin and I love it! it is as small as it is just barely holdable, but then it slips in any pocket.
image quality is acceptable, but again for its size I'd say it is pretty good. I miss some rudimental manual adjustements, but then such a camera is not really made for that. the surface is a bit too slippery, but I stuck on a bit of invisible shield body armor, now it is much better to grip.

the interface works much better than expected, there are some nice features like when you hold the camera for shooting and rest your thumb in the upper right corner of the display, most of the text information disappears to give an uncluttered view, nice! the menues even look nice compare that to the horror olympus is offering.

the sweeping panorama function works great and unbelievable fast. Smile detection is such a silly stupid function, I really hope every camera gets that soon, can't live without that anymore. high iso is better than what most small sensor cameras offer.

it is the best fun camera I ever bought, it'll replace my Ricoh GRD3 as my daily camera for a while.

Problems:

no problems, but a few niggles:

* no manual control whatsoever, I would have loved to have manual focus and Aperture control. it doesn't even allow for the slightest image control like saturation or contrast

* the surface is quite slippery, especially when wet. a bit of texture would have been nice.

* water gets trapped under the sliding lid, so after a dip it takes a while to get dry

* the zoom lever is a bit too round, a bit more texture would have helped

* no B&W mode. easy to do in computer, but I like to have it with compacts.

geesbert's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow