Started May 31, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
leckerbeetje
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S70 review
May 31, 2010

I bought my Sony DSC-S70 around 2000 when it entered the market, and I still consider
it as a very good digicam. It makes splendid pictures, and in my opinion (as a layman)
this is due to (1) the Zeiss-lens, (2) the large image-sensor and (3) the absence (except
for the optional JPG-conversion) of any kind of 'post-processing' of the images.
I get my pictures in the original 'as taken' format and that's it. Nothing less, nothing
more. Later I bought a Canon Ixus 850 with a lot of image-processing, and here the
image quality gradually deteriorates from good to very poor. Looking at the Canon
images at 100% scale I always wish my Sony had made them.
Due to the un-processed images down to the last pixel, the 3.3 Megapixel is enough to
make excellent A4-colour prints. Up to A4 you really do not need more pixels. What you
need, but what Canon and their friends don't want to supply is cameras with bigger
sensors with less pixels, and thus more square milimeters of light sensitive surface per
pixel, and thus no need for post-processing.
However, the Sony has some drawbacks too:
- the shutter lag. For still-life photography this is not a problem, but for action
photography it is.
- the capacity of even the maximum allowed memory stick is rather small.
- the capacity of the battery and its rather short life span.
- in spite of the very good quality of the pictures, the contrast is a bit low. This however
can be compensated for in any imaging software package.
These drawbacks made me my Sony leave at home when go out and just want to 'point
and shoot'. For serious photography in or around my home however, my Sony is still my
favourite digicam. (may 2010)

leckerbeetje's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow