Started Jul 5, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alan Bottomley
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 review
Jul 5, 2010

I have owned the TX7 for 1 week and have already taken a lot of photos, many of them of a technical nature.
As I become more familiar with the features and operation of the camera my opinion of it grows.

For years I have been looking for a non-extending lens camera that will take good quality pictures and THIS IS IT!
The picture quality is excellent notwithstanding that the camera is very small and very pocketable.
Its low-light performance can be quite awesome, but probably its biggest advantage to me is the very good image stabilization. (It scores way higher than the Canon S90 in this department. See for instance: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-TX7-Digital-Camera-Review-21496/Canon%20S90-Comp.htm). This allows me to take sharp hand-held shots in room light (without flash).

The touch screen works well, although it is not as sensitive as the screen on my iPhone. This is probably because it is resistive (rather than capacitive), but the upside is that it has a much better response to a writing instrument such as the included pen.. Yes, you can write on a picture and then save the combined image!

Overall a wonderful little camera.

Problems:

The camera is a bit hard to hold onto and I feel that Sony would have been better to have not beveled the edges so much, particularly along the top edge.

The sliding front cover is just a bit too hard to operate; it is slippery and the spring force is just a bit too high, but you do get used to it and it has a nice over-center action.

Battery life is not that great, but quite adequate though.

There are a few other minor niggles but they hardly detract from this being easily the best camera I have used.

Alan Bottomley's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow