Started Jul 19, 2010 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eugene B
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio W90 review
Jul 19, 2010

I selected the Pentax WR90 over other cameras in the class for the following reasons (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/).

1- Slim design to fit in shirt and side leg pockets.
2- Pentax reputation for solid construction. (I used to repair cameras and found Pentax to have superior construction to Cannon.)
3- Recessed shutter and power button for ease of sliding in and out of pockets.
4- Centered lens (keeps fingers out of the frame)
5- 1 cm macro capability
6- SD card

The Canon was my first choice for image quality, but I wanted something slim enough to fit in my pocket for hiking and backpacking.

I purchased the Pentax WR90 in April from NewEgg and have taken it on a number of hiking and backpacking trips in below freezing weather. We have used it in the rain, snow, and under water. The kids have also given it a lot of use.

The daylight performance of the camera has been great. Dark images are a little noisy, but not unexpected given the small size of the lens.

The user manual is great.

The front lens cover is great. I just wipe it off when it becomes smudged. It seems to be very hard; so far, no scratches.

Overall, I am impressed with the camera. The menu and exposure settings are convenient, the motion video is good, still images are impressive, and the features are more than adequate.

Problems:

I am still trying to figure out the motion video, which sometimes doesn't allow zooming during record. I chalk that up to my ignorance at this point.

Wish list:
- A standard mini USB port for connecting to camera to download images.
- Battery charge via USB while the camera is connected to a computer. (I'm spoiled by my Blackberry phone.)
- Elevated features to protect the display window when sitting on a flat surface. (minimal benefit)
- Larger (higher capacity) battery. We used it on a five day backpacking trip and had to be "efficient" (no flash) at using the camera. We captured over 160 still images and 15 minutes of video. The battery was on "empty", but was not fully exhausted.

Eugene B's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow