Superb, small, fast. I love this camera!

Started Apr 18, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
voodooalpaca
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Superb, small, fast. I love this camera!
Apr 18, 2011

I got one of these to replace my old ixus 850is, and it's a massive improvement over what was an already good camera.
initial view was that it was way to small, but after a few days use it's perfect, and the 850 feels large.
the 220 is very very fast. Press the on button and take a picture really quickly.
it's really good and fast at focussing, and it's low light performance is great.
the display is nice and clear and bright, and works fine in bright sunlight
Auto mode does most of what you will need, and the AF tracking is really cool.

video mode is very good, the 640x480 is actually really good, but the FULL HD takes it to another level. I bought the HDMI lead for the TV and it really is good. almost broadcast quality out of a camera the side of a fag packet.

of course the software is 90% the same as all the other camon's, so the learning curve for existing canon users is much reduced.

I just took this on holiday around Viet Nam and my back up camera (Powershot SX10) was pretty much redundant as the 5x zoom covers most requirements (of course if I was on a Safari then the extra zoom would have been vital). the 24mm wide angle is perfect for people and landscapes.

I love that macro mode is now automatic (that's new to me anyway) and the camera is so fast that the focus etc. is spot on.
hand held night shots are easy.
the flash is bright although as always with tiny camera takes a while to charge up.

battery life is ok

Problems:

none
some of the new modes are a bit odd, toy camera, fish eye etc. they work as described, but I'm sure you could do the same in software, should you wish.

voodooalpaca's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow