How to Pre-Visualize like Ansel Adams

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan Nikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?
Re: How to Pre-Visualize like Ansel Adams
In reply to Graham Clark 178, Mar 15, 2013

Nice post!

I use a lot of pre-visualization in my work and among a few other genres, a large part of my work is landscape in both medium format and large format black and white film, just got done with three days in the darkroom printing for a show at the end of the month.

But unlike Ansel, I take a journalistic approach to landscapes in that even though the print is the end result, I like to nail it in camera and keep darkroom work to a minimum. Other tools to help pre-visualize are Google Earth, various topo apps and other apps for my iphone that give me tons of info on all the key ingredients for putting the probability of getting an amazing shot in my end of the court. One key app for large format is Viewfinder Pro. It lets me frame a shot on my phone before pulling the camera out that way lens choice is less trial and error as to not waste time with great light or clouds.

It takes years of learning what light is really doing and how to read weather maps to truly pre-visualize a great shot on film, that is one of the reasons I have gone back to it nearly completely, being freed to think like a photographer rather than chase technology and get caught up in the web presence of it all...

-- hide signature --

'Digital is like shaved legs on a man - very smooth and clean but there is something
acutely disconcerting about it.'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TPPFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow