Started Jun 6, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
An OK compact with useful zoomrange.
Jun 6, 2011

Nice handling. Decent macro and it can even lock on right object unlike some previous Coolpixes like the 5400 and 990 which could struggle woefully in that regard. Normal AF speed is not too slow. Watch out for bad sample variation of the the lens, Dpreview had a faulty unit with soft left side.
I was one of the very first to get my P50 on this forum back in the day as I had mine on preorder before the release and I posted some findings in the forum but thought that I might post a short review also.

Tested it with a Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb and the cardwriting was not a problem if I remember correctly.
Good that the camera uses AA batteries (two) I used Sanyo Eneloops and didn't have a problem although in the review them whined just a little over battery life.
What attracted me was the zoom range 28-102mm in a compact body which I find very useful. I didn't keep the P50 for very long though and have since bought a Samsung L74 wide which have an almost identical zoom-range.

Both of these two have almost foolproof auto white balance indoors which is rather unusual.
Build quality: P50 plastic though well built. L74: Almost all metal and well built.
I don't know how well the P50 manage to focus in dim light but the L74 manage to do that very well, even with that AF-lamp turned off.
The L74 have a touchscreen interface which works well. I could only wish that adjustment of EV could take marginally shorter time which still is not too long. I never bother myself using the pen. Always tap carefully witht he top of a finger nail, not to add fingerprints to the screen.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
schaki's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow