Incredibly good camera for the money! (especially with CHDK)

Started Jun 19, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Incredibly good camera for the money! (especially with CHDK)
Jun 19, 2011

I bought the SX10 back around the time when it first came out, and I've never regretted it. With the 20x superzoom lens and all of the manual controls, it's one of the closest things you can get to a DSLR without actually being a DSLR. Given that you can't change lenses, the 20x superzoom lens w/ wide angle, macro, and 0cm "super macro" features is very very handy as it gives you a range of focal lengths and focus distances that you'd normally need a DSLR with multiple lenses to get.

One of the best things about this camera, and the rest of the Canon PowerShot series, is the availability of the free (vendor unsupported) CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) which extends the firmware to add a tremendous number of features including the ability to save shots in RAW file format (including Adobe DNG).

I just bought a Nikon D7000 (DSLR), but I plan to keep the SX10 and will still end up using it in certain situations (particularly those which require special CHDK features, such as motion detection).

Problems:

Manual focus is difficult because it uses the multifunction thumb wheel. (The usability of the SX10's thumb wheel in general has been a common complaint but it isn't a problem until you try manual focus.)

ComputerDork's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow