Started Nov 23, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
My quick review
Nov 23, 2011

This lens could be better for the price I paid at the time (€510). I like this lens a lot for the professional feel, colors and of cours the wide angle. Optically my copy has a flaw and unfortunately I noticed it too late.

Pros:
- Good (not great) sharpness at most of the frame. My copy is decentered and doesn't give justice to it, but the sharpest side of the frame is good at f/5.6. I normally use it at f/8 or f/11 and the sharpness improves significally.
- Like my Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, this lens produces great colors and saturation. When coupled with my Hoya HD polarizer it really shines.
- Great focus speed, and it's really silent. The focus ring feels very professional as well as the full body itself, like all EX lenses.
- Excellent flare resistance, especially for a wide angle.
- No CAs at whatever aperture I use.

Cons:
- Sharpness could be much better across the frame.

Bottom line:
If you don't expect tack sharp images this lens is a must have, and a great buy considering the current street price. If sharpness is so important to you get the Tokina 11-18 f/2.8, but expect a lot of other optical problems like CAs and flare. All things considered I give it a 4 out of 5.

Problems:

My copy has a very soft top right corner. Check your copy for this and get another if yours is decentered too.

Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Jose Rocha's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow