Fuji builds the camera Canon should have, and it's GREAT!

Started Nov 30, 2011 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JRWPIX
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Fuji builds the camera Canon should have, and it's GREAT!
Nov 30, 2011

Being a long-time user of the Canon G cameras, (and EOS1Ds' from the beginning), I am amazed at the low light and the color balance abilities of this new camera. If it's not considered a pro-grade camera, it's darn near! The menu is much easier to grasp than most brands, and has more versatility than most cameras I've ever seen. However, the AF gets baffled even at high contrast targets...I've had to re-boot it, for it's eyes to refocus...very odd. It captured a non-stop 14 minute 1080P video in stupid-low light, effortlessly. The EXR mode and the Velvia film setting are my go-to settings....I love them! The on/off zoom lens is an analog paradox to an all digital camera....I hope it holds up. For me, the viewfinder is useless. The rear screen is so lovely and programmable to the user's taste, it makes the optical VF a waste of space. There appears to be no AA filter, as fabrics display a vivid moire. How good is the X10? My Canon G is an instant antique. I love the f2.0 lens speed and "shallow" DOF, but the short battery life, compared to the Canon G, is alarming, and crazy slow to charge. Get extra NP-50's if you plan on shooting all day. Overall, I'm very glad I have the X10 in my pocket...its the right price and the right camera to carry, since my "work" camera kit takes a truck to move. I refuse to haul a DSLR, since I have them in my hands all day. I want a silent, discreet camera and Fuji kept the simplicity of the X100 or the Leica M's, but with a more versatile lens. It's a joy and a winner. I'm Impressed!

Problems:

Moire on fabrics, short battery life, AF confused easily and won't re-focus.

JRWPIX's gear list:JRWPIX's gear list
Fujifilm X10
JRWPIX's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
unrated
Portraits
okay
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow