Was very impressed, now it needs to be repaired.

Started Jan 6, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sico2
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Was very impressed, now it needs to be repaired.
Jan 6, 2012

I bought a Z500 as my first Casio camera and was very pleased with it, until its focus broke down and decided to buy a new model.
I purchased FH100 mostly for its design, wide angle lens and 10x optical zoom. As well as I found HD movie recording handy.
Now only after a year, I have a malfunctioning piece of parts that Casio won't even bother replying to my support requests. It has the same failure as my Z500 or something else, having a pixeled pink stripe across the whole image. As well as flash doesn't go on twice as it should, but only once, so all pictures are underexposed.

If the camera would work fine, I still was very unhappy with it. I mainly do portrait pictures of my family and scenery occasionally. In day light it has lovely pictures, although I saw sharper examples from older and cheaper cameras. In low light and indoor, you can forget it! The ISO comes 400 all the time, and the blur is just too much. You can set it up for 100 or 200, but you need a stative, so totally useless. Flash is too intense, even on -2 settings. It's too direct and narrow. Also it is very easy to cover the flash with your finger while you're holding your camera.

Response time is bad. Charging flash after each photo is too long and the green-red indicator blinks too often, too fast being confused what is it there for. Image recording is acceptable, even on standard SD card.
Video recording is fine, never bothered with the 1000fps option as it was useless for me.

I miss the many auto presets as I used to have in my old Z500 like candle light, sunset, black and white, document, party etc. They halved it in FH100 and gave many more that can be used for a taking off bird, which I find useless.

Only good thing about this camera is it design, weight (I like bulky semi-compact cameras) finish and materials. Even though I have a pouch for it, already few crumbs and dust are under the lens, unacceptable after 1 year of usage.

I paid £200 for it last year, and now it's broken, do not know if it makes sense to repair it and what new one to buy. Totally unhappy.

I was a loyal Casio customer, now will never buy their camera again.

Problems:

Software, freezes, broke down after 1 year, dusty lens underneath, flash corrupted. Unusable.

Sico2's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
bad
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
weak
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
poor
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Casio Exilim EX-FH100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow