Started Jan 14, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
roiros
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Great at night and video. bad at daylight
Jan 14, 2012

Brought the camera a few weeks ago as my mini camera to replace my DSLR when I want something compact.

choose this camera as a result of it's relevant slightly higher aperture then other ultra compact cameras in it's price range as well as it's zoom range and the fact it starts at 24mm.

starting with the fact the camera starts at 24mm, it's great in some cases but problematic at most.
turning on the camera, doing a quick shot of people up close produces significant distortions. would much rather like the camera to be turned on with 28mm instead of having me zooming it slightly every time I take a snapshot.

colors produces at quite nice, stabilization works great.
the videos are stabilized as well and using optical zoom in videos is really great. HD output is great though it produces huge files which IMHO should be better compressed.

having only 2 modes(auto and P) available at your fingertips is kinda a drag.. changing the mode of P to something else takes too much time and effort.

overall disappointed by the camera output due to noise and softness in daylight, had the change to use cannon sd1100 which IMHO performed much better at daylight.

Problems:

While nighttime performance are great and the camera is able to pull details in high ISOs withut too much noise or smoothing, daytime performance are really >bad<. When shooting in auto the camera produces output with slight noise even at strong daylight. The output gets too much smoothing or it's too soft, haven't found whether it's a lens problem or a the smoothing algorithm.
Turning on features like smile detection takes more then 5 clicks unless it's been prepared ahead instead of the default P option. making these great features inaccessible.

roiros's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
bad
Portraits
bad
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
awful
= community average
Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow