Started Apr 14, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FishyPix
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Helped test the beta of this on the Great Barrier Reef
Apr 14, 2012

CAVEAT: I have not used a production unit..

However, I was briefly a part of the testing team on the Great Barrier Reef with a beta unit and from memory, with the other cameras mounted on the same platform taking the same photos and video frames, the underwater shots from the D20 blew the competitors out of the water.

I am concerned the lens has shifted from central (and big) to the ubiquitous small rectangle in the upper corner of the camera body which then instantly knocks down image quality a lot.

I did not get to view the images on a laptop to check for sharpness, noise, aberrations etc but I can say without a doubt that watching the shots being taken and the videos recording on the screens of all 4 camera brands underwater, same place, same time, was a beautiful moment showing the COLOURS of the coral reef being represented by the D20 way better than the others.

Would love to get one and try it out - I have taken thousands of shots on Canon Ixus 850 and similar with many shots winning competitions and used in brochures. It will be interesting to see if this corner-mounted-lens has optical quality matching the Ixus range of traditional centre mounted lens.

Problems:

Everyone seems FASCINATED by cameras appearance these days. The big "problem" for the D10 was its "bulky ugly" appearance. Seriously ? Its for taking photos people ! Who gives a damn what it looks like and as for bulky - please - if you cant swim along happily with anything smaller than a football in your hands you have no business in the sea. The D10 was a brilliant, tiny and I think pretty camera that more importantly took great shots better than any other in the field. Just hope the D20 image quality is even better.

FishyPix's gear list:FishyPix's gear list
PowerShot SX700
FishyPix's score
Average community score
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot D20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow