Started Apr 15, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
N13L5
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
I only started liking my Nex5n after I got this lens
Apr 15, 2012

I admit, I would have preferred it somewhat shorter, like 60mm equivalent, but thats just my own quirky preference, Sony has good reason to stick to the "proper" length when making a portrait lens.

The bokeh doesn't seem to have any particular character, looks similar to a gaussian blur, which maybe a good thing for most users. I admit to liking some of the more outlandish bokeh effects of certain older Olympus lenses, but thats subjective, sometimes borders on impressionist rendering.

I did not like what happened to far away, weak round lights in the blurred background, they got a large opaque septagonal shape with sharp, slightly curved edges, much larger than the actual lights were. These lights rendered just fine when in focus, they were weak light bulbs shot from ~100 yards away in daylight.

Elsewhere some people had been saying this lens was soft. I don't have any fancy testing equipment or even test pictures to photograph, but I wanted to know how it compares to the 18-55mm kit zoom.

So, I mounted a monitor arm on my wall with a quick release plate on the end and took black and white pictures of documents on the table, switching between the 2 lenses. From this test, looking at type and lines, I can say that at least my sample of the portrait lens is not only sharper than the kit zoom, but also handles faint, broken up parts of text better. (I used 1/30 shutter, F4.0, BW high contrast mode, with good ambient light, taken with and without flash) If you have suggestions to test it differently, let me know

The OSS is great, I took some handheld pictures at night that should have been complete failures, and to my great surprise, even a shot against a big streetlight at the end of a 200 feet road turned out as if I had sat there with a tripod, carefully timing the shot and aiming straight into the only lightsource in the picture...

Well, thats as much of a credit to the camera as the lens.

I'll put up pictures soonish

N13L5's gear list:N13L5's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
N13L5's score
Average community score
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow