Started Apr 16, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
The best lens I own(.)
Apr 16, 2012

I bought this lens for $600; used but in near mint conditions, with the glass in pristine shape and very few blemishes, most of them on the easily replaceable lens ca. It was a steal of a deal for a lens that I rarely see new for less than $1,200 these days, especially since Pentax recently switched over their pricing to a unilateral system that eliminates huge gaps in price between MSRP and big vendors like Amazon who buy these things by the boat load. I also own the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO, but I was in need of a shorter, smaller, and lighter zoom for my backpacking and everyday portrait needs. The lens is definitely the sharpest lens I own hands-down. It focuses fairly fast, produces good contrast and colorful images when mounted on my K-5. The one thing that I really love about the lens is it has no issues with the Bokeh, unlike my Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO which sometimes has Bokeh issues with small-diameter linear shapes like fences and tree branches. I think that if you factor in the size of the carrying case that I use with this lens vs. my Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO, you’ve got a lens that’s about ½ the packed-volume, 1 lb lighter, starts where my Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM ends, matches the weather resistant attributes, look, and feel of the Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM, and in my opinion is a lens that’s worth of a price tag of $1,200-1,600 in new condition.

Problems:

None(.)

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
hikenhi's score
Average community score
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow