Started Apr 17, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
It's a kit lens...
Apr 17, 2012

This lens was included with my first Pentax DSLR—my K10D. I really just needed a general zoom to go with my first DSLR. However, after using this lens for a couple of years following the purchase of my Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF), I realized how lousy this lens was in terms of IQ and performance. I just tended to forget about it and use my Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) until I was fortunate enough to get a really nice general zoom—my Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM, 3 years later. I will say that it’s got a nice build for $100 more or even $150 if you bought it separately. It did its job while I had it but now that I have a pretty good assortment of very nice lenses, I’d never consider buying a kit lens again. I’ve thought about the newer 18-55 II in the weather sealed version, but I’m also against buying variable aperture lenses—it doesn’t suite my style. I’ve thought about the DA 17-70 f4 lens, but that’s a KAF3 mount and from what I understand, when it’s SDM fails, the lens has no auto focus backup like the SDM DA*’s and use a KAF2 mount—they can fall back on the screw-drive auto focus in the event that the SDM fails in the field and that’s huge for me.

Problems:

Lens is out of focus if you go past infinity for landscape shots. Viginetting, not very shap.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
hikenhi's score
Average community score
Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow