Started Apr 18, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ilookmarvlus
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony SLTa57 first DSLR
Apr 18, 2012

After a long research and review process I found one a the local blue and gold big box store, after waiting on preorder for weeks for the big onlne provider. Could hardley wait had a brand new memory card burning a hole in my backpack.

This is my first DSLR, and many well intentioned friends are cursing me for not going Canon or Nikon. But you kniw what I had plenty of Nikon and Canon point and shoots starting with the original PowerShot 600 16 years ago.

I selected the A57 based on some very thorough and well recieved views and the fact I have a bag full of A mount lens from my film days. I got my first Minolta SR-T Super in Japan in 1973 my last being a Maxxum 7000 with a few Bronicas, Yashicas and a Mama C330 thriwn in for luck. The fact that the Sony can use my A mounts was a big deal, I know those lens an what the can do. So while a DSLR is new kit and I no longer smell of fixing fluid...

Ok the camera, the feel isn't they same as my old SLRs, but no one uses metal niw right? But it does feel sold and comfortable. The controls seem well laid out and relatively intuitive, the menus are clean and proctive coming up everytime I twist the main control, maybe too proactive I think I'll be looking for the disable control soon.

I shot a total of about two dozen pic myself, my wife a coupke and the my five year old picked it up and immediately starting taking pictures. She's had two point and shoots herself all Kodaks.

I hav too say the results are very good considering, clear well balanced colors, crisp details. And the automation options, well my Minolta's are now really relegated to being a historical dsplay and homgage to film.

I just started using some of the effects, mono, color drop outs, HDR, and I haven't had this much fun with a camera since my wedding night.

Now iI haven't some of the types below becuase I have yet to use it for those purposes, but I'm confident it will be fine. Let you know after I get back from India.

I read somewhere that one reviewer in said the was possibly the best DSLR on the market for less than $1,000.00. Not sure if he was right, but I'm certainly pleased. Overall, its feature rich, easy to use and quite a bargain....

Ilookmarvlus's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow