Started Apr 30, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Hylt
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Serious issues with GPS functionality
Apr 30, 2012

I won't go into depth on all the aspects of the DMC-TS4/FT4, that have been covered elsewhere, but the GPS functionality (or lack of it) is worthy of mention.

GPS functionality was one of the main reasons I purchased this camera, because I love to be able to automatically record photographic location (without having to synchronize afterwards with a separate GPS device, based on time stamp). The TS4 also has the useful feature of automatically stamping altitude and of recording the direction when taking the shot. Plotted on a map, you should therefore be able to see the position of the camera and what the camera was aimed at for the photograph.

But...the TS4 only updates the GPS occasionally (around every 5 minutes, I was told by a Panasonic support person, but it seems to me that it can be much longer than this). The first time I took the camera out to photograph urban landscape, I ended up with 30 photographs showing as being in the same location - even though they taken over a distance of nearly 1km, as I walked along the streets.

This GPS functionality is worse than not having any, since it gives misleading readings of photograph locations. You can update the GPS by searching for the update button in the menus, or you can switch off the camera and then switch it on again to update, but this is hardly natural when taking photos. It's a big step backwards from the functionality of an iPhone camera, for example.

Rob Hylt's score
Average community score
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 (Lumix DMC-FT4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow