Started Sep 18, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,747Gear list
Not in Love with Olympus E-5
Sep 18, 2012

This camera body is not worth the effort to me. Two bodies and multiple trips to Olympus USA Service Center did nothing to resolve inconsistent AF issues, even with SHG optics. I have to admit that the combination of the E-5 and Zuiko 12-60mm f/2,8-4 was admirable, but that was the only lens of several that I owned which auto-focused consistently well.

In the end, after 10 months of anguished ownership, I divested myself of all 4/3 equipment and moved to m4/3. The E-5 was the cause of that. I had been a very happy Olympus E-1 owner prior to that. Enter the E-5 world with trepidation.

Problems:

Inconsistent AF. Rarely did PDAF even come close to what Live View CDAF could achieve.

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
James Pilcher's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
okay
Low light (without flash)
mediocre
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow