Started Oct 13, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
briti1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Definitely Not What I Expected
Oct 13, 2012

I own a graphic design studio and I've been a professional photographer for over 30 years so I do know a little bit about cameras and lenses. I ordered the TS4 after reading the review of the TS3. Since the TS3 was at the top of its class and the TS4 had only minor changes I expected that I the TS4 would be a tough, waterproof, shockproof camera that took excellent photos. It's definitely tough and all of it's features work as advertised but when it comes to the most important feature of any cameras, resolution, the photos I have taken with it (all on land) have the worse resolution of any point & shoot or dslr that I have ever owned. I realize the limitations of a camera that has to shoot through a glass cover but the photos it produced are horrible. I have a 4 year old Canon PowerShot SD950IS and my wife has a 3 year old PowerShot SD1200IS and the resolution of the photos that each of them take, wide & tele, blow the TS4 out of the water. I downloaded the photo I had taken onto my computer and opened the images in Photoshop. At 50% the shots taken at the wide setting were already soft. At 100% they are practically unusable. To produce a clear 4"x6" print would be pushing it. At the telephoto end the resolution was already dropping and the photos soft at 25%. Cropping and enlarging a section of any of the images was impossible. No amount of image manipulation or sharpening could save any of the photos enough to make them presentable. All of the photos were taken on land both with flash at night and in daylight under optimum lighting conditions. I can't even imagine what photos taken underwater would be like. The worst part of the story is that I had the camera brought to me in Mexico where I had hoped to use it and its waterproof qualities while snorkeling, kayaking and standup paddle boarding. I'm on a 2 month trip and the all of the shots (245) I took over a 2 week period that I have taken with the TS4 are useless. Luckily for me I brought along Canons, my old PowerShot SD950IS and a 5D Mark II, which I will now start using on land. I wouldn't recommend the TS4 to a 8 year old for their first camera. I've used only Canons my whole life and the first time I stray from the fold and purchase a Panasonic it's a nightmare. The only reason I gave it even 1/2 star is because it's a good looking, fully featured camera. I sent it back to Amazon next week for a full refund. I really want a waterproof point and shoot that I can use for watersports and also for use a general all around travel camera. If anyone out there has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know.

briti1's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
poor
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow