Started Nov 19, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
uptheorg
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Fantastic Tool!
Nov 19, 2012

This is a great camera for me. I am not a professional, just an enthusiastic amateur. I spent two weeks scouring reviews and spec sheets, visiting camera stores, and talking to people before I decided on this camera. What I was looking for was a camera that would maximize picture quality and hopefully still be portable and affordable. Some of the smaller "point and shoot" cameras take beautiful photos, but the controls are all in menus and I wanted the basic controls to be physical dials and buttons on the camera. So, as part of the process, I began narrowing down to the Fujifilm pair (X100 and X10). I ruled out any cameras with interchangeable lenses (mirrorless) because they are not as portable, well-balanced in the hand, and they did not seem as well-built. I was tempted toward the X100 because it is well-built and takes beautiful photos, but the fixed focal length was a deterrent. I ruled out the X10 because of the way it handles RAW images (poorly as per the reviews) and the build quality seems a little cheap. The one review comment that tells of a drawback to the G1X is the poor macro focusing ability. This seemed a small sacrifice to me, since the rest of the focal range is so good. The lens rating of 2.8 is not as good as the 2.0 on the X10, but I believe that the photos it will take are still stunning and I could live without the better bokeh in that case.

So then I got the camera. Bought it from an eBay seller who had taken it out of the box and used it for about 200 pictures, so I was able to get it for $535 delivered to me. WHAT a camera! I love it. It is solid and hefty (like my Nikons of old) and yet not too big to carry around. Whereas an SLR would have taken photos just as good (and not argualbly much better) this camera doesn't scream "look at me I am taking pictures" the way an SLR does -- allows me to be a little more low key in that case. But the large sensor gives a tremendous advantage over other cameras this size (except mirrorless which almost have the same size sensor) because I can take a photo and not concern myself with perfect composition -- when I crop it later, I still get a great image even as it is resized to a more usable size because there is so much data left in the cropped image. I love that.

I have taken a few hundred images with the camera and am still learning about it and about photography in general. I am using the Canon software together with Pixelmator (for Mac) to process the photos after I take them and I love the results. Some of these you can see in my sample gallery -- I think they look cool.

uptheorg's gear list:uptheorg's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
uptheorg's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow