Started Nov 20, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WhiteBeard
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Samyang/Rokinon first impressions
Nov 20, 2012

I just received the Rokinon 7.5mm (250$ on Ebay.ca). After a few days of mostly outdoors shooting, I can share a few first impressions.

First, in terms of build quality. It's a tight, light and well-built little lens but the focus ring is very hard to turn, as if the lubricant had somehow frozen up - not that you need to focus much for most landscape pictures in the first place. The aperture ring is smooth and first rate.

Second, in terms of operation. As was noted earlier in this excellent review: <http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2012/02/samyang-75mm-f35-fisheye-lens-review.html> you need to make frequent exposure adjustments when you take pictures in darker situations, up to +2 EV. This and the slow and tricky focusing (when you need a crisp foreground) makes this lens a definite "Take your time to compose" deal as opposed to a "sports event" lens, which is OK because planning a good composition with a fisheye lens takes time in order to avoid gimmicky shots.

Finally, image quality: The overall sharpness is very good, even in the corners. Shooting at F 5.6 - 8 yields consistent results. Again, you need to take your time in order to have every parameter right but you should be very happy with the results, especially at such a low price!

Problems:

As mentioned, too much friction in the focus ring - perhaps just on my own copy - and need to adjust exposure more often than on a "regular" (non-manual) lens.

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S2 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
WhiteBeard's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow