Started Nov 28, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Count Biscotti
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Terrific For The Traveller
Nov 28, 2012

Bought this in late September for a trip to Australia for the Coral Sea Solar Eclipse of November 2012, so it has seen quite a few miles an about 4,000 images.

Previous camer was a Canon XSi + 18-200 Sigma lens.

Reasons for purchase were three-fold: 1) with the release of the T4i Canon wasn't going to give me the GPS that is soooo useful/handy/functional if you do a lot of travel shooting 2) a light camera with an optical viewfinder for travel 3) video...maybe.

The basic conclusion is that I may never go back to a DSLR. You can't get that kind of functionality in any DSLR at any price, and further, it costs under $500. This last point is important as the technology continues to evolve, and yesterday's features become today's ho-hums. Focusing is DSLR fast, and the GPS locks in quickly. Image quality is very good, and the lens is suprisingly sharp given the zoom range. Yes, somebody somewhere will get a better picture with a full frame camera and a non-zoom lens. I'm sure the cover of Vogue awaits. But, for the average day-to-day picture, you always have the right lens ON THE CAMERA, and the CAMERA IS IN YOUR HAND because it is light and relatively small. In a word convenient.

Problems:

Small niggles.

Count Biscotti's gear list:Count Biscotti's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A37 Nikon D5300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +1 more
Count Biscotti's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow