Started Dec 8, 2012 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lupti
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
Bad photo and video
Dec 8, 2012

This camera is a big disappointment. I tested it for some days and the quality of photos and videos is really poor. I don´t expect miracles, just decent P&S performance, but it is considerable worse than the competition like Panasonic TZ25, Sony HX series and others when I took comparison photos.
Images are all soft and don´t show much details - across the ISO range. Even ISO80 looks soft. RAW doesn´t help, IQ is even with that bad so image processing and/or hardware of the camera must be subpar.
I would also only use the real optical zoom of 12,5(24-300mm), not the SR extended zoom as the IQ becomes really unusable with that. It´s a pity that Casio has the lowest optical zoom range compared with other current travel zoom cameras and the worst IQ of them.
You can set aperture and shutter speed manual but the camera has a cheap aperture just allowing only two settings, at the widest 3 or 7.9 and then becoming slower to the end with 5.9 at 300mm and stopped down 15.4 - not kidding! Casio can´t be serious on this...but unfortantely they are.

Video quality isn´t good either. FullHD videos are wobbly due to poor image stabilisaton and rolling shutter. Details are just average. The autofocus has troubles to keep the camera focussed even at daylight. Shooting with focus switched to infinity helps but then you get unsharp images when zooming. Sound quality is ok. Considering the fact that comparable cameras like Sony HX20 offer video recording in good AVCHD 2.0 quality instead of producing odd MOV-files that my video editing program(Cyberlink PowerDirector) doesn´t like due to odd codec used it´s poor implemented.

Highspeed video modes are a nice gimmick but only the 120 and 240fps are usable, all above just produce really poor videos, especially 1000fps which gives you just a small stripe of dancing pixels.

The tilting screen is a little advantage over the competition but limited to tilting upwards, so ok for shooting holding the camera down or switching it for self-portraits but you can´t tilt it down for shooting over a fence.

Build quality is average at best, all plastic and a bit flimsy battery/card door.
Battery has decent lifetime but that´s all.
Screen is ok but resolution just standard.

User interface is surely one of the poorest I´ve ever used. The menues are bad organised and changing settings like aperture, ISO etc. is awkward. For shooting RAW you can´t just switch to RAW quality in the normal menu, you have to switch to a best shot RAW mode - and then you can´t take videos in this mode. At least you have manual control over exposure then.

To sum it up I realy don´t see any reason for getting this camera. You can´t even take good pics at base ISO setting, the UI is horrible and the only outstanding thing may be the first two high speed videomodes, but that´s all. As the competition and even older travelzoom cameras perform ways better the same price or even cheaper I should rather pick one of them than the Casio ZR-1000. Sad but true but it´s just a poor "me too" product as Casio wants their share of the growing travel zoom market but nothing more.

Lupti's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
awful
Action / sports
awful
Landscapes / scenery
awful
Portraits
awful
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
awful
Studio / still life
awful
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 (Lumix DMC-TZ25)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow