ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
6x9
6x9
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Nice Camera, But Not For Everybody
Dec 9, 2012

No doubt - this is a nice camera. Well made and with lots of features.
The sensor-shift image stabilization works REALLY very well.
High ISO noise is better than you could expect from a 4/3 sensor. However, it is not on par with recent (and less so) APC-size cameras. Although the Dpreview OM-D review rated this camera very high for its low nose at high iso, I do not think that mine is so good in this aspect (maybe I am spoiled by my Pentax K-5). I see substantial chromatic noise at ISO 1600. Much more prominent than on my K-5 at ISO 3200 (both cameras were set to Auto noise reduction). Actually I did image comparisons thru trhis site - both OM-D and K-5 were surprisingly close at high ISO (with OM-D looking even slightly better). This is definitely not the case with mine. To avoid questions about the OM-D camera and sensor temperatures - those were below 20 C.
As engineer I do not understand why the Oly image stabilisation is always on (unless you switch it off from thye menu). It is active even when you do not half-press the shutter release button. You can also hear it while previewing photos. Really starnge. It would be much logical to activate it only when you half-press the shutter button. Why to waste battery life?
The power switch lever maybe OK for some Oly fans, but it is not in the best place for me. It is also quite small, which makes turning the camera on and off rather difficult with one hand. This will be a good place for a secondary function, but for the power switch it is a bit awkward.
The camera offer lots of customization. But I have two main complaints: 1) menus are over-complicated and not always logical, 2) I am missing direct buttons for key settings. Well, the last can be partially solved by assigning functions to the two function buttons. Anyway, you have to learn how to change settings! It is not as intuitive as on other cameras.
*** This is not a critical review and I have nothing against this camera! I have just shared my experience with my OM-D***

Problems:

Not problems, but annoyances:
1. Setting camera is rather complicated and you have to learn how to change settings. It may be difficult without a manual.
2. Small power switch lever and buttons.
3. Image stabilisation seems to be always on after camera is powered up, unless it is switched off from the menu.

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +14 more
6x9's score
Average community score
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow