Started Jan 24, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bellcurve
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
OK but with major limitation
Jan 24, 2013

All I need is a basic P&S. But I'd like decent image quality. I've tried/had a few and the ELPH 100 HS is attractive for its size but I've found one major drawback on the IQ front: it always selects the maximum aperture available. This means depth of field is always limited. On my Fuji F10, as an example, the camera would select a midway F stop in most situations as long as it could assure a shutter speed of 1/100 or higher. And if I chose Landscape mode it would stop down as far as it could go, if I chose Sports it would max out shutter speed, so the scene modes allowed a limited Av/Tv selection.

Not so on the ELPH 100. Every scene mode uses the max aperture the camera has available at that zoom level. And in Program mode if light allows 1/100 at f2.8 at 100 ISO bumping the ISO to 400 gets you 1/400 at f 2.8. There's just no way trick the thing into a higher aperture, and maybe there isn't one. Could it be the design only allows 1 aperture setting for any zoom?

In any case, the cameras nice high ISO ability, small footprint, good build quality, and potentially good IQ are hamstrung by the very shallow depth of field. Wanted to like it, but just can't.

bellcurve's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
awful
Portraits
acceptable
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon ELPH 100 HS (IXUS 115 HS)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow