Started Feb 2, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iudex
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
From K-r to K-30
Feb 2, 2013

I switched from Pentax K-r to K-30, which is partially a successor (stilll a Pentax´s entry level), but partially a higher level (especially in comparison to C/N entry level models). Everyone can read the specs, so I won´t repeat them, but comparing to the competition from Canon (650D) or Nikon (D5100/5200) the K-30 highlights are weather-sealed body and 100% pentaprism viewfinder.
Things that differentiate K-30 from K-r or which mean improvements:
- new sensor: the famous Sony 16 Mpx sensor is a level higher than K-r´s 12 Mpx, it has better DR and handles higher ISO (I´d say 1/2 EV better as regards the noise).
- the viewfinder: it is really brighter, clearer and bigger and together with 100% coverage (WYSIWYG) makes composing and framing a picture a real pleasure, on par with high-end APSC DSLRs.
- better ergonomics: bigger handgrip makes handling better and safer, even with fast lenses or telezooms.
- weather sealing adds sureness that the camera is not in threat in rain/snow/sand (common holiday environment).
- addition of AF-S/AF-C/MF external switch is very useful (the K-r had an extrernal switch for AF/MF only, thus making user go to the menu for AF-C setting).
- addition of RAW/JPEG external switch.ň
- addition of second control wheel equals K-30 to high-end DSLRs and allows setting of all shooting modes without putting the eye away from VF.
- Live view AF is much faster that in K-r (which was almost useless)
- focus peaking in LV mode is fantastic, makes LV focusing a pleasure (especially in manual mode).
- video is full HD (but I do not care for video at all).
I have encountered only two issues where Kŕ was better:
-K-30´s start-up time seems a bit longer then K-r,
- K-r had a possibility to search for dust on the sensor by taking a special picture which showed dust parts on the sensor (the K-30 lost this feature for unknown reason).
As it is clear from the list of pros and cons, the K-30 is a huge improvement from the K-r, getting really close to higher-positioned K-5 (and in some features outperforming it, e.g. the live view focusing). For the price it can be bought nowadays it is a must-have option.

iudex's gear list:iudex's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
iudex's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow