Started Feb 8, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dragons4Mama
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 slow and noisy on E-M5
Feb 8, 2013

AF of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is VERY SLOW and NOISY on my Olympus OM-D E-M5. Not Acceptabe for me. Lens might be "fast" in the aperture sense, but AF is slow w/ lots of seeking & noise. Got this lens to be an indoor "party" lens - the loud and slow AF make this lens unsuitable for that task.

I traded my Canon 5D and all my Canon kit (50mm f/1.4, 28-35L, 70-200L, 85mm 1.8) for an OM-D E-M5. I LOVE the E-M5. Love the retro silver look. Love the small and light size. Working on customizing and getting to know the camera (I'm slow w/ change.) For my uses, IQ is comparable to what I got w/ the 5D - especially since I was finding the 5D too big and heavy to carry around, so I wasn't taking very many photos.

Bought the Oly OM-D E-M5 w/ the 12-50mm kit lens and, based on my readings of reviews, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for use indoors. Bought the camera and at my local bricks and mortar camera store. Held the camera in my hands, took some test shots w/ both the 12-50 and the Pany 20mm f/1.7. I guess that all my attention on the camera and so didn't notice the slow and noisy AF of the Pany 20mm f/1.7 in the store.

DH will tell you that I'm just not a point-and-shoot kinda girl. I have the camera in "M" mode and often use Manual Focus. I guess I'm not used to the focus-by-wire instead of direct focus - I found that MF took an awful lot of focus-ring rotation on this lens.

Just got the Sigma 19mm & 30mm bundle ($200 less than the Pany 20mm cost). So far, so good. Although "slower" in the aperture sense, AF is QUICK and QUIET on these lenses. Will be putting the Pany 20mm f/1.7 up on eBay

dragons4Mama's gear list:dragons4Mama's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +18 more
dragons4Mama's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow