ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Update
Feb 24, 2013

An update to my previous review.

I'd just like to add that I've been able to take some nice night shots with this camera, including some very nice night shots with a Minolta 50mm f1.4 manual lens. Pictures with the Samsung 30mm f2, although a nice super sharp lens, seem to be a bit more difficult at night than I expected, in comparison to my vintage lens. I like the ergonomics, although not perfect: the handle could be deeper so that the strap attach point doesn't push into your index finger - you have to route the strap between your index and middle finger to be comfy - although the ergonomics of this one are far better than than of it's siblings the nx1000, 210, 200, 300 which are all rather uncomfortable to hold (the nx1000 has the shallowest handle of them all, hence the least pleasant to hold). I'm guessing this camera was designed by and for very small people, not the average person.

Now that I have used this camera quite a bit, I have to humbly bow to other people's opinion that more manual control dials and buttons would be welcome on this camera. It's Fn menu is very nice for quickly adjusting Aperture, Speed, ISO right at the top of it, and farther down access to just about every other feature as well, but having direct access buttons for some features, and more control dials, would make this a so much nicer camera. Buttons and the current simplicity need not be mutually exclusive. Hopefully Samsung will correct this and offer an NX30 that is more differentiated from the NX300 than the NX20 was from the NX210/NX1000. If the upcoming NX30 has more dials, I'll definitely switch to that one - if not, I will most likely move to a Fuji. (I own a Fuji XS1 and it's numerous direct access buttons and control dials make it a real pleasure to use - and Fuji achieve this without making the camera confusing like, say, a Nikon P7000 I once owned).

(I apologize for the duplicate posts previously: the DPR website wasn't responding and I clicked submit a second time thinking it didn't take the first, and we ended up with the same review posted twice, just as for the other reviewer).

Problems:

Color balance in low light is definitely deficient. When shooting night scenes, I've had to switch the white balance to tungsten in order to get the correct color of the sky. I could have tried the night mode under the scene setting, except I never shoot with auto-scene settings.

WiFi: something has to be said about Wifi and the Remote Shutter application. If you don't own a Samsung brand smartphone, don't buy this camera for it's wifi, because the remote shutter is downright false advertising: if Samsung hasn't given it their stamp of approval, you aren't even allowed to download and install it onto an Android phone to try it out even if that phone exceeds all of the system requirements for the phone to run it (power, memory, screen resolution). Wi-Fi wasn't a buying criteria for me, as I didn't care for direct uploads to social networks, since I need to review and crop images on the computer before uploading them anyways! But I learned about the remote shutter app after the fact and would have liked to use that without switching to a samsung brand phone.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Timmbits's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX210 Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow