New Canon on 22nd March?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 28,372
Like?
Re: Nevermind
In reply to howardroark, Mar 15, 2013

howardroark wrote:

Yeah, I don't want a bigger body either. I'm not sure the AF could be on par with the 1D X after what I've read about battery voltage affecting AF speed. The bigger battery on the 1D X produces a higher voltage allowing the AF system to respond more quickly (lens AF motor? don't recall where it comes in to play).

I'm pretty sure the battery voltage thing is nonsense. Canon lenses use ultrasonic motors, those aren't like DC motors where the higher the voltage the faster they go. For a start, they run off high voltages anyway, so there is a voltage converter providing the voltage they need (maybe around 100V). For a second, the speed depends on the frequency and phasing of the ultrasonic drive signals, and that is controlled by a microprocessor in the lens. It's another case of these web myths that is gaining currency amongst those who don't have experience with the type of technology in these devices.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow