Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Re: Wistful dog portrait with Konica 50 1.4
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 15, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

Experimenting with low light shallow DOF - not something I normally do so any comments or tips would be appreciated

Nice dog (and shot)!

I like the composition and the shallow DOF, but only the dog's eye is in focus. The nose, ear, collar, etc. are all outside the DOF area.

I think that the image would look better at 50/1.8 or even 50/2.2, or keep 50/1.4 but increase the distance - it would crispen the subject a little, while still keeping the background blurred. There is a lot of detail in the dog's head that will make a sharper headshot more interesting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks for the tips! That's the problem with f/1.4, although I was quite happy (and a little surprised) at how well focused the nose was considering I was focusing on the eye.

I took another from slightly further back - more of the dog in focus, but the expression wasn't so good...

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow