Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bill Rees
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: hands-on review of the D7100
In reply to Horshack, Mar 15, 2013

Horshack wrote:

mosswings wrote:

We now have a additional IQ difference between the dx and fx bodies...pattern noise vs. none - non-exmor vs. exmor. It also makes me wonder if Sony opted out of providing Nikon with its latest generation 24mp exmor sensor...because it planned to put that in its nex7 followon that just ahout announced. From sony's point of view, its dx sensor are critical...it has full frame, but nikon is more of a pro presence there. we'll see.

I doubt Sony withheld any sensor technology from Nikon; Sony needs those volumes to help cover sensor R&D and amortizing the production run costs. So I agree, APS-C volumes are critical and the loss of the D7100/D5200 sensor socket to Toshiba was probably very bad news for Sony.

This noise banding problem seems like non-issue for normal shooting. I do a lot of landscape photography and only shoot raw. Quite frequently, I will use the Lightroom ND filter tool to balance the sky with the ground but rarely go beyond +-1.5 - 2 EV at the extremes. Any massive adjustment  of the exposure looks unnatural and you'd be better off bracketing frames for some subtle HDR.

Bill Rees's gear list:Bill Rees's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow