Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vorchek
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
NX20: Experiments in Photography
Mar 15, 2013

From the start I have employed the RAW+JPG setting.

I took a bunch of pictures with the kit lens, mostly with a tripod, indoors, night, dawn, full sunlight.  Thus far the results gratify in the main.  The 18-55 appears a reasonable performer, one I can safely use  for regular snaps.  Here it exceeded expectations:  at the edge of town, with way too much light in the sky, I got some pretty good star pictures without using bulb (that I still have not tried).  The camera blanked out most of the extraneous light, while a short exposure gave me dots instead of little streaks.  That bodes well.

I was chagrined by the dullness of sunlit outdoors JPGs shot on the standard setting.  Coming from Olympus and Kodak super zooms (and scanned Ektar 100), I was accustomed to better.  However, I always meant to shoot RAW, so I quickly concentrated on those.  I use Zoner Studio Pro to work with them, and I shortly found that I could "develop" those just about any way I wanted.  At this point I tend to find that, when I get the sky to suit me, skin tones seem a tad warm.  Is that typical, or do I need to keep hacking away?  I will, regardless.

Later, after searching the manual, I switched JPG setting to "Vivid".  That is much more my style.  Now the skies look blue to my eyes in JPG, too.

100% crops look sharp.  I don't ask more than that.

-- hide signature --

--Vorchek

Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow