Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
A Day in the Life . . . Photography in the eyes of Children
Mar 15, 2013

Every year I volunteer a few days at local schools to teach children about photography. Kodak and Fuji love me because I would buy disposable cameras by the hundreds! Sadly, these cameras are getting hard to find.

We pick a theme such as Family, Nature, Friends, Pets or whatever the kids decide on. We give each child a disposable camera and tell them to take photos of what they like. After they are done, they are invited to my lab and we have them develop the film so that they can see how photofinishing works.Each child keeps the photos and CD to share with their families too.

Once their film is developed, we print them on 5x7 paper for them to see and then burn them on a CD so that it can be shown on a projector. The child uses a remote clicker and can explain why they took a certain photo. It helps them think and articulate (English).

I have been doing this for about 20 years and are proud of the fact that over 300 of these former students entered photography or videography as a career (some 3900 students). One is an intern with my company right now shooting NBA games for us!

For those of you who are working professionals, give back to your community by showing others your career. You would think most kids want to be police officers, firemen or doctors but surprisingly, I get a lot of Wows, I want to be a photographer when I grow up! I love it when a child says, "You met Kobe Bryant?" or "You photographed the Dodgers?" To me it is no big deal but to a child it is like I met God!

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow