Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,678Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommendations for Anti-Virus Protection on Mtn. Lion - Windows 7 MPBr
In reply to Phil BH, Mar 15, 2013

Phil BH wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Anyway, did anyone say you don't need it? I just said I don't use it, that's just my own choice based on my own awareness of the risks.

I wasn't referencing you, just the general mantra that Macs are not vulnerable.

I agree to some extent, there is some vulnerability there, of course there is, and probably always has been. I'm not sure that anyone really believes that Macs are not vulnerable anymore, it's fairly clear that is not the case.

However, it's a matter of assessing that risk, and understanding it. I think in most cases you can manage protection well enough as long as you know a few basic measures (such as watching for unprompted admin password requests, don't go to dodgy web sites, don't read suspect emails, turn off Java until you need it, and so on).

Even understanding that what we get are not viruses might be a good start.

Actually, I wasn't entirely accurate in what I said, I do use OpenDNS, which does have malware filtering, and I do use Gmail, which is also pretty good as filtering suspect messages.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow