Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vorchek
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Initial Report on the NX20
Mar 15, 2013

I took possession of a brand new NX20 last Friday, have been experimenting with it the past week. This was a real big deal for me since, despite owning several digital compacts and a couple of super zooms, my main camera until now (and for a truly long time) has been a Minolta SRT-102! That one certainly served me like a champ, but with film costs on the rise and availability problematic I looked forward, all going well, to finally retiring it.

I spent a year and a half debating the matter with myself, reading everything I could on the subject, including the reams of information from this web site. I could not afford to wildly splurge, yet I wanted a top of the line camera, one that would do everything I required of it. I almost decided many times, hesitated, thought better of it.

What I wanted: a strong sensor with much resolution, powerful electronic viewfinder, versatile rear screen, impressive customization, and-- critically-- the ability to adapt my complete array of Minolta lenses.

The NX20 has been on my short list (along with the OMD and the NEX-6 and NEX-7), and the recent sale price finally clinched it in my mind as the best value for the money. I bought it, along with a spare (third party) battery, remote shutter release, two PNY cards, and three inexpensive Rainbow Imaging adapters.

My general impressions at this point are quite favorable. The camera seems solid enough, not akin to the metal box Minolta perhaps, but sufficiently durable with proper care. The basic functions are intuitive; I was in business so soon as charged the I battery, snapping test pictures. The kit lens operates smoothly, works just as well in manual mode as in auto focus. I like that. The electronic viewfinder pleases me immensely. So far it has not failed me once. The whole package seems to work in snappy fashion, the camera not obviously holding me back.

It is still too early to be categorical, as I have much to learn. Reading of the manual discloses all kinds of nifty features not immediately apparent to me. I wish to comment at greater length on particular aspects. I will do this in following posts.

-- hide signature --

--Vorchek

Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow