Nikon D5100 to Fuji X-E1? Opinions?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204
Like?
Re: Nikon D5100 to Fuji X-E1? Opinions?
In reply to John, Mar 15, 2013

John wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm looking at renting a X-E1 right now...

Still on the fence with this one. Actually I may trade my 5100 more on the merits portability (taking pics while hiking, travel, etc) than just color alone. I'm getting rapidly tired of hauling the D5100 + two lenses on hiking trips...

99% of the time not taking pictures of moving subjects, but focus hunting bugs me. OTOH I have lenses which have to be manually focused on the D5100 anyways, so if I can manual focus the X-E1, that's OK with me.

The issue I have with color is a tough one to define what I'm talking about. And it may be just me. When I take a picture of a subject with what I call "obvious" colors (large areas of bright colors, a color chart is a good example), the Nikon (D60/D5100) and Fuji (F20) does equally well. The D5100 does snaps of family gatherings well. When I have taken pictures of landscapes, sometimes certain colors (especially yellows) on my D60/D5100 are different between cameras. Here's an example...

D60 (D5100 does the same thing BTW)

Fuji F20

I don't know if I'm just being picky, but the greens (especially the blue-greens of the lupine leaves) and yellows seem a bit more pleasing and better rendered than the Nikon. And this is not the only example I can give on this one. Some say they can't tell the difference... So I don't know.

It is hard to tell which photo here represent the real color.  You really have to remember which one represent the real situation more accurately.  Looking at them now is only a matter of preference.

I have a D80 and X-E1. I resisted upgrading to D7000 due to its problems (oil and dust and backfocus issues).  I also needed to have a light camera for travel.  I could have upgraded to D5100 since it is quite light and free of the issues as in D7000, but I have D type of lenses which D5100 cannot drive.  Like you, I am more of scenery and street guy.  So I bought X-E1 and it perfectly fits my needs.  I still keep D80 for situations that needs fast AFC.  I also bought a cheap Nikon to Fuji adapter so I can use the Nikon lenses on the X-E1.  So, it really depends on your needs whether you should buy X-E1 or upgrade to D5200, D71000, D600, etc.  There is no doubt that all these are great cameras.  But, one thing stands out for the X-E1 which is the OOC jpeg.  I always take RAW with D80, and spend a lot of time on pp. Now, I just take jpeg on X-E1, very minimum pp, save a lot of time for other things.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow