So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,416Gear list
Like?
Nikon D3200
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 15, 2013

Randell Tober wrote:

I wanted to add… So it appears to me the OM-D/ GH3 have top end function, IQ etc… for a reasonable price. So I’m being steered back towards DSLR since size isn’t an issue. But, one of the reasons I went down the 4/3 road was quality and cost in comparison to dslr’s. Doesn’t one have to go to say a D600 or 6D to get the same level of function- quality? Both are nearly twice the price of the Oly or Pana. Or am I missing something? Thanks

Any of the latest models of DSLRs should give you image quality as good as an m43 camera.

I don't know much about European prices, but in the United States a Nikon D3200 with kit lens is only $400 and a Nikon 50/1.8 prime lens for low-light situations is only $110. Those lenses will be fine for most situations. Some of my best photos have been taken with a cheap Nikon DSLR and kit lens.

The main advantages of Micro Four Thirds are that they offer DSLR quality at a much smaller size and weight. They achieve those goals very well. But they are not "better" cameras than DSLRs. In fact, DSLRs have some advantages over Micro Four Thirds cameras, such as better handling and bigger lenses that allow you to blur the background more.

I chose to invest in Micro Four Thirds because I got sick of carrying a big DSLR around with me, but if value for money and image quality are your main concerns then I would say go for a DSLR.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow